Cascade-Siskiyou National Monument is a resource for students and scientists, it’s provided opportunities for outdoor recreation, and has enhanced quality of life for residents of Southern Oregon.
Public Meeting on Cascade-Siskiyou National Monument Expansion
with OR Senator Jeff Merkley and Mike Connor, Deputy Secretary of the Interior
October 14th, 2016 from 2:00 PM – 5:30 PM (Arrive by 1pm to get a seat.)
Rogue River Room, Stevenson Union, SOU Campus
FREE PARKING in Lot 36, across the street from the Music Department on S. Mountain Avenue.
Below are points to help make sure your message is heard. Please share your story and what is most important to you.
- Many dozens of scientists agree that adequately expanding the Cascade-Siskiyou National Monument is essential to protect the Monument’s important biological connectivity, outstanding biodiversity, and make it more resilient to the effects of climate change.
- Recognizing the Monument’s contribution to the local economy and regional quality of life, the Chamber of Commerce boards, City Councils, and Mayors of Ashland and Talent – the two closest towns to the Cascade-Siskiyou National Monument – unanimously support science-based expansion of the Monument.
- We have the opportunity to expand the national monument to provide comprehensive and cohesive protection of this biologically unique and valuable landscape.
- We support science-based Cascade-Siskiyou National Monument expansion in order to fulfill the promise of the original monument proclamation.
What to Expect at the Meeting
During the meeting, there will be an opportunity to share your opinion about the expansion of the Cascade-Siskiyou National Monument with officials from the Obama Administration. At the beginning of the meeting, comment cards may be distributed. Please make sure you get one, add your comments in support of a science-based expansion of the Cascade-Siskiyou National Monument, and be sure to turn the card back in to staff at the meeting so your comments are part of the official record and to have a chance to speak.
- During the meeting, there will be an opportunity to share your opinion about the expansion of the Cascade-Siskiyou National Monument with Oregon’s US Senator Jeff Merkley and Deputy Secretary of the Interior Mike Connor.
- Most speakers will be selected by lottery. An opportunity may (or may not) be presented at the end for anyone whose number was not drawn or who did not take a ticket but decides they want to speak anyway.
- At the beginning of the meeting, written comment cards will be distributed. Please make sure you get one, and add your comments in support of a science-based expansion of the Cascade-Siskiyou National Monument. Even if you speak, be sure to turn in your written comment card to staff at the end of the meeting so your comments are part of the official record.
- Share your own personal story and why your science-based experience is important to you. You will only have 1 minute to speak, so say your most important point first.
- Monument supporters will be handing out EXPAND IT stickers and t-shirts. Please get and wear one or both. We need a visible sea of blue in the audience.
- Arrive by 1 PM to be sure you get a seat! We are expecting a packed house.
- For more information, email Terry Dickey at: email@example.com
BLM Photo by Bob Wick. Pilot Rock, Cascade-Siskiyou National Monument